Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Hyvää Itsenäisyyspäivää


Happy Independence Day, Finland! I am proud to be a citizen of this country. It may be a small country with a population of only a little over 5 million, but it's a great one, too. It has over 187,000 lakes and 70% of the country is covered in forests. It's the home of famous textile designers, glass designers, interior designers, architects, Engineers and composers like Marimekko, Iittala, Arabia, Alvar Aalto, and Jean Sibelius, just to name a few.

Fun facts that you may have not known:
  • Did you know that the Sauna came from Finland? The word "Sauna" means "winter dwelling". It's funny that when I actually pronounce the word correctly, I get ridiculed by all the Americans for saying it wrong. ;-0
  • Your everyday Fiskars Scissors is a Finnish company.
  • Your favorite game app on your phone, Angry Birds, was created by a Finnish Computer game developer - Rovio.
  • KONE "machine" is the fourth largest manufacturer of Elevators and Escalators.
  • The Finnish shipyard has built some of the most famous cruise ships.
  • Nokia, even though it's not doing so well right now, is a Finnish company.
  • They have the best strawberries.
I am so excited to go visit my family in Finland next summer with Andy! It keeps me up at night!

I was confirmed in Tumio kirkko (the big white church)


The Square



Typical summer cottage with the Sauna on the lake

Countryside

No comments:

Post a Comment