Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Not a Happy Camper

I was having a pleasant Friday until I noticed my wallet went missing. My friend and I went to lunch at Corner Bakery and it wasn't until I was at the bookstore around the corner that I noticed that my wallet was not in my purse. I panicked. We went back to Corner Bakery to ask the staff if they had seen a purple wallet, checked all the places I had been... it was nowhere to be found. I immediately left and went back to work where I called Chase. They told me someone had tried charging $1,700 to my debit card, but that it was rejected. They then used my 2 other credit cards to charge about $3,000 at CVS. I mean, who spends $3,000 at CVS and who doesn't check ID with the purchase?? Well, when I filed the police report I asked about it and they said they usually go to a store where they know someone working so that no one checks ID and that they usually purchase Visa, American Express, etc gift cards. I was furious. Not only did they charge all this to my cards, but everything else was in that wallet too - drivers license, my transit card (had to borrow money from a co-worker to get home that day), gift cards, insurance cards, etc. I felt violated and sick to my stomach about the whole thing. And to top it off it was a REALLY nice wallet from my close friend. I didn't even have it a full year.

 It's been over a week and I'm still dealing with it. Heading over to the DMV to get a new driver's license today. I need it for our road trip this weekend!

Lesson learned, the hard way. Be super attentive about your surroundings and your personal items. Zip up your purse at all times and don't hang it on the back of your chair or set it down on the ground next to you. I'm thankful that it was just my wallet and not my whole purse. Can you imagine losing your phone, keys, wallet, etc? Ugh, I can't.

Watch out for those thieves, they are everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment