I grew up listening to bluegrass music and it's always been a huge part of my life. My dad is to blame! He has always been involved in the music scene here in Chicago as well as in Finland. He started the Ruotsinpyhtää Bluegrass Festival in Finland in the late 1980's which is still going strong. For the past 13 years, he's been promoting live bluegrass music in Chicago with the Chicago Bluegrass Legends Series in Evanston, IL. He has had amazing talent come through Chicago and I'm lucky to be a part of it all. It's a hobby and a passion for him and he does it all for the community. If he wasn't doing it, who would? I can go on about that for hours, but I'll save that for a later post.
The bluegrass community is celebrating Bill Monroe's 100th birthday today. Mr. Bill Monroe is The Father of Bluegrass. We have so much to thank him for!
In the next few weeks we will also being see the Avett Brothers and then heading down to Nashville for the IBMA Fan Fest and then a week of camping in Asheville, NC where I know we'll see lots more music. So excited!
First clip is of Mountain Heart at the Old Town School of Folk Music. They're AWESOME! Check 'em out.
This clip is of Bubbly Creek playing "Squirrel Hunters" at a benefit at the Lincoln Park Zoo. It was HOT out.
No comments:
Post a Comment