Thursday, November 10, 2011

Painting

I have always enjoyed drawing, crafts and painting. I have a long line of artists on my mom's side of the family (painters, photographers) who inspire me. We have a TON of paintings by my aunts, great uncles, and my mom's parents. Perhaps that will be a future blog post.

I took a drawing class my freshmen year of college and learned a ton and then I had space in my schedule to take an art class my senior year so I signed up for Painting. I came out with 2 paintings that were worth taking home and the others were dumped. When we moved to our new place about a year and a half ago, my paints and brushes went home with my in-laws and I haven't painted since.

My husband surprised me with a Easter treat and bought me a spot in a 4 week painting class. Last night was my first class and I LOVED it. I forgot how much I like painting. The first hour we went over primary, secondary, tertiary colors, shades, tints, different brushes, oils vs. acrylics, etc. I hadn't thought about the color wheel in a long time and it was good to refresh my memory. Did you know that perfect shade of purple is one of the hardest colors to make? That's why a lot of artists buy purple paint and then add tints or shades to achieve the color they want. Did you know that black and yellow makes an olive green color? It is so fun mixing colors together and making beautiful colors.



The other hour we spent painting an object. I painted a tomato which didn't have a green stem on it so it looks more like a pumpkin or pomegranate.



Anyhoo, I'm very excited for my class next week and appreciative of my husband who always pushes me to have more hobbies. One day he'll be sorry when he wishes I was spending more time with him and less on painting and photography... Just kidding.


1 comment:

  1. When do I get to pose? Maybe a tasteful nude painting is in order?

    ReplyDelete