Tuesday, April 17, 2012

babysitting.

babysitting for Lilia.
I used to babysit all the time in grade school and in high school. Almost every weekend night was booked with a babysitting gig and it was a great way to make some cash. The families were pretty cool about having friends come over too so that always made it more fun. And I enjoyed being with the kids, though, I can remember some being super obnoxious and spoiled; probably a result of where I grew up and the lack of time the parents spent with their kids. The kids would have a nanny during the day, me at night and let me remind you that the mom never worked... what's the point in having kids? 

And I remember babysitting for one family when I was in 7th and 8th grade (12-13 years old) where I'd be left with a 4 year old, 2 year old and 2 newborn twin girls! At the time I didn't think it was strange... I mean, it was busy and I remember having the 4 year old get me stuff while I switched off feeding the infants and keeping an eye on the 2 year old. But now when I think back on it, I don't think I'd trust a 12 year old to watch over all those kids, alone. Would you? I saw the family last year and it was crazy to see the 14 year-old twin girls. Oh my, I feel old.

And then there was always the semi-drunk dad that would drive me home at night. Again, I didn't think it was weird at the time, but now it kind of creeps me out. Maybe I've seen too many movies.

Those days are over, but NOW I get to babysit my niece, Lilia, when my sister and her husband need to go out. And it's fabulous! It's a special time to bond, just me and her. No interruptions. I dream about the day when we can have a conversation, she can say my name and I can take her on little dates with me.

I also babysit for our good friends when they need a night out and I miss those kids when I'm not with them. Sean who is now almost 5 years old is so sweet. The other day he stopped me when I was reading a book to him and hesitantly said "Emma, I love you and Andy." It was one of the sweetest things I've heard. I gave him a huge hug and told him I love him too. Ten minutes later he stopped me again and said "Emma, I was kind of nervous to tell you that." I think I had a tear run down my face. It was so sweet. My friend is due in June with their third baby and I cannot wait to meet the new addition to their family!

Do you still babysit? Have times changed? Would you trust a "kid" with your kids?

No comments:

Post a Comment