Thursday, August 4, 2011

I'm running in honor of...

My dad, Chip, and his new hip. He won't ever be able to go for a jog or run, again, so I'm running this race for him. And myself, of course.

Speaking of his new hip, he's doing quite well and is still loaded up on drugs. The biggest worry after this type of surgery is blood clots so he's on coumadin (blood thinner) and the nurse, who visits the house almost on a daily basis, checks his blood levels. And while on coumadin, he can't eat anything that has a high level of Vitamin K, which includes olive oil, a whole lot of vegetables, among many other things. We were laughing because it's all the healthy stuff that he has to stay away from. He's okay to eat meat, cheeses, and breads. Who would have ever thought?

Yesterday, he walked down to the end of the block with his walker and that's the farthest he's gone in almost a year! With his old, bad hip he couldn't even make it there. Soon enough he'll be walking all around town with no walker, playing the banjo. I'm so proud of him! :)

I'm running for "Chipster the Hipster" the banjo man.


Dad with his first banjo

I think this picture is too funny. Practicing the banjo at college.

He's on the far right. During his college years at UW Madison

Buskin' in Helsinki, Finland

4th of July, 2011. A couple of weeks before surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment