Monday, January 31, 2011

Can i do 4 miles?

I have yet to reach the 4 mile mark... can I do it this week? I ran a 3.25 this Saturday and I know I can run 4, but I just have to mentally prepare myself. This weekend I focused on increasing my speed - not my distance. So to increase my speed/endurance, I did some high intensity interval training for 30 minutes. It was hard, but I felt really good afterwards. On Sunday, I did a light "recovery" run. I had contemplated doing some cross training, but once I got on the treadmill I didn't want to get off. I've also added strength training to my schedule twice a week in hopes to strengthen my quads/hamstrings and core.

My intervals:

walk at 4.0 mph - 2 minutes
light run at 4.7 - 2 minutes
walk at 4.1 - 30 seconds
run at 5.2 - 2 minutes
walk at 4.1 - 30 seconds
run at 5.5 - 2 minutes
walk at 4.1 - 30 seconds
run at 5.8 - 2 minutes
walk at 4.1 - 30 seconds
run at 6.0 - 2 minutes
walk at 4.1 - 30 seconds
run at 6.3 - 2 minutes
walk at 4.1 - 30 seconds
run at 6.5 - 2 minutes
walk at 4.1 - 30 seconds
run at 6.3 - 2 minutes
walk at 4.1 - 30 seconds
run at 6.0 - 2 minutes
and so on....

As for this week, I see 2 big hurdles for me. The first one is that it's supposed to snow 12-18 inches from Tuesday afternoon to Wednesday afternoon. This means that I will have to take 2 buses to get to the gym since our car is terrible in the snow. I will have to feel really motivated to take the bus. The second hurdle is that my husband has a client in town for the whole week and expects he will be at dinner every night so I will big on dog duty. I always feel bad leaving Red home alone at night after we've been at work all day. She's a big dog that needs lots of attention. So, I'll have to treat her to a few extra walks this week. Excuses? Probably. ;)

Here's a few pictures of Red. She's a sweetheart.


No comments:

Post a Comment