Tuesday, February 21, 2012

gettin' out of town.

The G8 and Nato Summits are coming to Chicago in May and even though it will bring in lots of tourism, $$, and publicity to Chicago, I am a little afraid of what can and will happen. The City of Chicago is beefing up on security all over the city in the highly likely event of riots and demontstrations, upgrading Chicago police horse gear, and many universities including Northwestern and DePaul are changing their graduation dates and locations. Oh boy.

Chicago's mayor, Rahm Emanuel, told the City Council protesters' rights would be upheld but the ordinance would close public parks, playgrounds and beaches between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m. to prevent camping.

"What is out there is an angst about the middle class and working middle class holding onto their economic security for themselves and their children," Emanuel said. "And the people have the right, which I believe firmly in, of expressing themselves. Their First Amendment right needs to be protected and that will never be infringed on. I also correctly have the right … to enforce the law and to protect the law. Both of those will be done correctly."



G8 Riots in Toronto in 2010.

Toronto 2010.
I think this might be the perfect time to head out of town for a camping trip.

What do you think? Would you or will you stay in town? Will you be protesting?


No comments:

Post a Comment