The Finns have a love for architecture, art and design.
I have a long line of artists on my Finnish side of the family and my mom has always been very crafty. She is an amazing knitter and seamstress, both hobbies; she made all of our clothes when we were kids, my graduation dress, veil for my wedding, etc. I, unfortunately, was not blessed with that gene, but I do have an appreciation for all art. And still try to be an artist at times.
Finnish-American architect, Eero Saarinen, was an embodiment of fine Finnish design. He was a modernist architect in the 20th century. He lived a short life and passed away from a brain tumor at the age of 51 in 1961. However, his work still stands.
His most recognized and famous work:
The St. Louis Gateway Arch "Gateway to the West"
Washington Dulles Airport Main Terminal
Ingalls Ice Rink at Yale Univeristy "The Whale"
TWA Flight Center at JFK Airport.
The Kresge Auditorium at MIT
CBS building, NYC
This post is honor of the World Design Capital Helsinki 2012.










Nice post, don't forget the recently opened Miller House and Garden.
ReplyDelete