Thursday, March 8, 2012

chicago gem: Lao who?


Yes, Lao, all located in the heart of Chinatown in Chicago. To be honest, I've only been to Lao Sze Chuan, but I will try the other restaurants in the near future. They are all run by the famous Chinese Chef, Tony Hu. And Lao Sze Chuan has also have received a Michelin Bib Gourmand rating.

If you haven't been to Chinatown then you are in for a treat. I have a long history of coming to Chinatown with my family and we've always gone to the same restaurant, because it's good (we love going for dim sum), the staff knows us and we usually don't have to wait for a table. However, now that we've been to Lao Sze Chuan, I may have to say goodbye to the other joint except if we are going for dim sum. Cantonese vs. Szechuan.



Must try dishes: Ma po tofu, sole fish fillet in chili bean sauce *highly recommended*, garlic spinach, dry chili chicken, sole fish fillet with black bean sauce, and szechuan green beans.



Be prepared to be overwhelmed by the huge menu, the language barrier and the possible wait.

Parking can be a hassle down there as well so you might be better off taking the Red line to the Cermak - Chinatown stop. And don't forget to walk around the area and stop into all the neat shops. You can find all kinds of interesting stuff.

2 comments:

  1. Emma- I am loving your blog! Makes me want to move back to Chicago. :) Also, I remember going to Chinatown as kids after the x-mas play and demanding rice paper candies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alex! Wish you would move back to Chicago so we could spend time together - like the good ol' days! I also really need to get out to Montana at some point. I hear it's beautiful (and awesome). Haha, yes I totally remember the rice paper candies. Those things were good! I bet my mom wasn't too pleased that I was eating pure sugar... ;-) Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete